I want a Leica. Do I have to have a reason? Okay, so far the best one I can come up with is the Philadelphia Leica User Group’s The Ten Commandments of Leica Photography
- Thy children are ugly. Do not make us look upon them.
- Thou shalt not have a photograph entitled “Pop-Pop” in your Leica portfolio.
- Thou shalt not photograph thy dog ,nor thy cat, nor thy ass.
- Photographing in exotic locals does not makeith thou a great photographer. (it makest thou a tourist)
- Thou shalt not photograph buildings.
- Thou shalt not photograph statues.
- Thou shalt not photograph homeless people. (Leave them alone or buy them food. This pleaseth the Lord.)
- Thou shalt not photograph people from behind and call it street photography. (This maketh thou a coward.)
- Thou shalt not own stupid Leica gadgets.
- Thou shalt not brag about the sharpness of thy lens, nor the number of Summicron’s thou hast acquired, nor the freshness of thy rear-cap, nor the dinglessness of thy bottom plate.
Incidentally, Kyle Cassidy (a PLUG member) wrote a nifty piece about the Canonet that’s helping me get through Leica Lust.