I haven’t been “on” Twitter since the first of the year. As of today that means it’s been a whole week. It sounds stupid just saying that, “A whole week.” Big deal. But, it’s been surprisingly difficult to stay away.
I realized that I was using Twitter as an excuse to do nothing useful. I’d scroll and click and scroll and click and I loved it. So what’s the problem? The problem is that I was always looking for something new to do, or more likely, just hoping to be entertained. Nothing inherently wrong with that, but I was doing it during every spare moment, and frequently in moments that I couldn’t spare. Not productive.
Too much of a good thing is a bad thing, so I’m taking a break. I don’t know how long it will last. It’s just an experiment.
- I’d like to lose my pervasive fear of missing out.
- I want to know if my background stress level changes.
- I want to learn to seek things out deliberately rather than passively having everything streamed at me.
- I want to reduce my intake of snark and false outrage.
- One immediate side effect is that after one week without Twitter I’m already less angry at the world. That’s something worth pursuing.
In the meantime, I’ll be here at baty.net and probably more active on Instagram.