I keep project information in DEVONthink, organized like so…
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Clients |->ClientA |->ClientB |->Project One |->Project Two |->Tasks.taskpaper |->README.md
Lately I’ve been adding Labels to indicate status (“In Progress”, “Inactive”) and collecting them into one folder using DEVONthink’s “Smart Groups”. One problem with this is that a project folder named “Website Redesign” doesn’t tell me who the client is when viewed out of context, so I started naming project folders things like “ClientB: Project Two”. Also, the “Tasks.taskpaper” document, opened in TaskPaper, doesn’t show the client name either, so I rename the file to something like “Project Two Tasks.taskpaper”
Of course all that extra typing is exhausting! :)
Long story short, I thought I’d try automating the process a bit.
DEVONthink has a pretty fancy templating system, so I modified the existing “Project” template based on this tip from Jim Neumann. The template contents look like this:
Now, when I want to create a new project, I select the client folder, choose “Data->New from template->Client Project”. I’m prompted for a project name, and the project hierarchy is created for me. The project folder and Taskpaper document are automatically named the way I want them, e.g. “ClientB: Project Three”
I didn’t do this just because I’m lazy (which I am), but it also helps enforce consistency, which I struggle with.