I would like to edit photos on my iPad more often. I’d be interested in using Lightroom CC on iOS and macOS to do it, but I switched from Lightroom Classic CC to Capture One Pro a while ago on the desktop and am very happy with C1. Even if I were still using Lightroom Classic CC, I’m not sure I’d be ready to switch.
Lightroom CC continues to improve, though. I’ve been keeping a list of pros and cons and will be watching for a tipping point that would make it feasible for me to switch.
Ligthroom CC Pros
- Pleasant to use
- Syncs everything automatically
- Looks and works (mostly) the same on all platforms
- People/Faces (Sensei)
- Easy web gallery sharing (to Adobe’s site)
- This is where Adobe is headed
Lightroom CC Cons
- Scrolling performance is poor, even on a brand new 27” iMac with 32GB of RAM
- No “show in finder” even though it knows I’ve opted to keep local copies
- No watermark on export (text-only on mobile)
- Limited sharing and export options
- A lifetime dependency on an Adobe subscription.
- No color labels
- Cannot rename files
- Limited Exif display
- No Smart Collections
- No side-by-side comparison
- No virtual copies
- No third-party plugins
- Did I mention the lifetime commitment to paying Adobe’s subscriptions?
C’mon Adobe, make it easier for me.